- Вс, 12:10: Speaking of antlers, whoa! (art by @yuumei_dA) http://t.co/b3ZaLxRp @Inventrix
- Вс, 15:38: RT @grouchotendency: "By using a 5ft tall cannabis plant as a Christmas tree, Richards showed a total disregard for the law.http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/dec/23/jail-man-cannabis-christmas-tree http://t.c ...
- Вс, 17:06: RT @cleolinda: RT @stephanieburgis: I love this! RT @jennreese: Wonderful "Christmas dragon" wallpaper from Vlad Studio: http://www.vladstudio.com/wallpaper/?xmas_dragon/
- Пн, 07:20: RT @cedarseed: My Moscow travel diary has finally been scanned and posted. Slowly but surely getting all of them online! http://cedarseed-air.blogspot.com/2011/03/russia.html
- Пн, 08:28: I gave @StumbleUpon another try, but there appears to be no "Fiction" category when adding pages? Is that so?
- Пн, 08:56: RT @AKK666AKK: I'm searching for #audiobooks to better my #English pronunciation. Do you know #steampunk, #fantasy, and/or #scifi ones ...
December 26th, 2011
I'm currently being mildly confused by interface design, in particular the menu that pops up on the Samsung Android smartphone when you hold down the power switch. (I'm translating the labels from German more literally than actually. I think "offline mode" may be "airplane mode".)
Settings to switch sound and all signals OFF:
Sound is OFF
Data Net Mode
Data Net Mode deactivated
Offline Mode is ON
You have two settings where the status message used the same label as the name of the setting, but with "Silent Mode", it's the opposite; to switch Silent Mode ON, you have to set it to "OFF".
You have two settings where the status message uses either "ON" or "OFF", but the third uses "activated" or "deactivated" instead.
You have two settings where if the status message is "ON" or "activated", the phone is allowed to do something, but the third actually switches OFF functionality when it's set to "ON".
I suspect it grew like that somehow, but I'll take my having to actually read the option and message each time to make sure it's set how I want as a reminder to try to keep menus consistent to avoid confusion.
Silent Mode is ON
Data Net Block
Data Net Block is ON
Offline Mode is ON
Still a tad odd that you have to set things to "ON" to switch OFF functionality, butsince Offline/Airplane Mode being OFF would be the norm, I didn't want to rename that. But at least it's consistent: Each setting stops something working if it's set to "ON".This entry was also posted at http://anke.dreamwidth.org/141963.html. You can comment wherever you prefer.